El Salvador’s daring Bitcoin experiment does not sit well with financial institutions, Bank of England’s Governor expresses concerns
Bailey said, “It concerns me that a country would choose it as its national currency. What would worry me most of all is, do the citizens of El Salvador understand the nature and volatility of the currency they have.”
* El Salvador’s decision to choose Bitcoin as a legal tender entails significant risks to consumer protection, financial integrity, and financial stability.
El Salvador Chooses Self Help
*El Salvador is a small Central American country with a population of 6 million people.
* It suffered a 12-year civil war that only ended in 1992.
* The country has used the US Dollar for 20 years before accepting Bitcoin as its legal tender with hopes of reviving a struggling economy.
* Its President, announced that the country will be issuing $1 billion worth of ‘volcano bonds’ backed by Bitcoin. Half of the money raised will be used to buy Bitcoin in the market.
* After the 5-year lock-up period, El Salvador would start selling some bitcoin used to fund the bond.
Bitcoin is Financial Freedom
* President Nayib Bukele’s controversial financial policy is stirring dissent domestically.
* El Salvador is left to choose between a decentralized protocol that imposes no conditions and is fast becoming a mainstream asset or to enter into a loan agreement with the IMF and be bound by the conditions of the loan.
* Bitcoin promises more opportunities through investments by institutions seeking crypto-friendly jurisdictions. At the same time, Bitcoin can play its role as a reliable store of value and also as an appreciating asset.
Source : solana.news
Founded in 2020, solana News is the leading media platform covering decentralized finance (DeFi) on the Binance Smart Chain (solana). We cover a wide range of blockchain news revolving mainly around the DeFi sector of the crypto markets. solana News aims to inform, educate and share information with the global investment community through our website, social media, newsletters, podcasts, research, and live ask me anything (AMA). Our content reaches hundreds of thousands of global investors who are active in the solana DeFi space.
solana NEWS is a private news network. All posts posted by this user belong 100% to solana.news All rights are reserved to Solana NEWS.